Contact Form
Social Security Disability Faqs

Assisting with your Social Security application and appeal

If you need Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits, you likely have questions about your next steps. To help move your claim along, work with the Murfreesboro Social Security Disability lawyers at Mitchell & Mitchell. With more than 100 years of combined experience, we serve as a trusted resource to you and your family. Get answers to frequently asked SSDI-related questions below.

Common SSDI questions from our clients

Contact your trusted SSDI lawyers in Murfreesboro today

If you have further questions regarding your SSDI claim, contact the Murfreesboro attorneys at Mitchell & Mitchell today at 615-896-4211 or contact us online. We diligently serve people across Cannon and Rutherford counties and offer free initial consultations.

How can I apply for SSDI benefits?

There are a number of ways to apply for benefits. The most convenient is to visit the Social Security Administration website and fill out the application. However, you may also arrange a phone interview by calling 800-772-1213 or visit your closest Social Security office for an in-person meeting.

Back to top

How long do I need to be disabled before filing for SSDI benefits?

You may file for benefits as soon as you become disabled and don’t have to wait for any period of time to pass before doing so. However, your condition does need to be serious — and one that will leave you disabled and unable to work for at least one year. We encourage you to begin filing for SSDI benefits as quickly as possible to get the process started.

Back to top


If I cannot work due to a disability but have plenty of money in my savings, can I still file for SSD benefits?

Yes. If you’ve worked recently or are applying for Widower’s, Disabled Widower’s or Disabled Adult Child benefits, the amount of money in your bank account will not affect your claim. You should still file your claim for benefits as soon as you become disabled.

Back to top

How does the SSA determine if I’m disabled?

Once you file for SSDI benefits, an official at your state’s Disability Determination agency examines your claim with the help of a physician. If the agency denies the claim, you can file a request for reconsideration, in which a different official reviews it.

Back to top

What are my next steps if the SSA denies my claim for benefits?

This is a common occurrence, as the SSA denies about two-thirds of all initial claims. After you receive a denial, you should appeal by filing a request for reconsideration. If you haven’t already consulted with a Murfreesboro Social Security Disability Insurance lawyer, you should do so at this stage for the best chance of approval.

Back to top

What is the reconsideration process?

After the denial of an initial claim, your next step is to file a request for reconsideration with your state’s Disability Determination agency. A different official with the agency reviews your claim for a second time. You should note, however, that only about 20 percent of reconsiderations are successful. The next step is to request a hearing from an administrative law judge.

Back to top

If you have more questions feel free to call us at 615-896-4211 or submit a contact form to set up your free consultation. We proudly serve those accused of crimes across central Tennessee, including Rutherford and Cannon counties.